Keays residence: Lindfield
Reusing materials and transforming a struggling lawn area into a peaceful outdoor retreat.
Winner of the 2008 Landscape NSW & ACT Ltd Award of Excellence in the Eco Awareness Residential section.
Landscape contractor: Brian Baker of ARTVIEW Landscapes
- Large established trees overshadowing the lawn;
- Too much shade for lawn and plants;
- Poor soils and plants struggling;
- New seating area to be incorporated;
- Existing paths and steps narrow and underutilised;
- Incorporate water feature to dampen traffic noise;
- Existing Camellias to be kept;
- Keeping costs down;
- Reusing / recycling as much as possible.
- Materials lifted and stored for reuse: pavers, sandstone and plants;
- Site ‘cut and filled’: regraded to attain the new levels and garden areas;
- Power and service ducts installed: for water feature and irrigation;
- Hard surfaces installed: paving, retaining walls, steps, paths and water feature;
- Soft works installed: soil improving and cultivation, planting and mulching.
The completed landscape is a view of beautiful flourishing plants in enriched soils surrounded by reused stone built in book leaf walls. In place of the lawns is a central water feature and the sound of the water flowing helps to soften the impact of the nearby traffic noise. The water feature is surrounded by reused re-laid paving.
It is truly a landscape which delights all of the senses.
Plant List – Botanic Names: