A well-maintained garden is essential to keeping your home looking its best. Not only does it make your home more attractive, but it can also add to its value. Garden maintenance is important in all climates but particularly in Sydney, where the weather can be harsh and the plants more delicate.
Artview Landscapes has a thorough knowledge of when the best time to carry out particular garden maintenance tasks is, as well as what type of maintenance is required for different plants. Here are a few things to keep in mind for a lush and healthy garden in Sydney.
Types of Garden Maintenance
Garden maintenance can be preventative or corrective. Preventative maintenance is carried out regularly to keep the garden looking its best and to avoid problems from occurring. Corrective maintenance is carried out after problems have already arisen, such as repairing damage caused by pests or bad weather
Preventative Garden Maintenance Tasks
- Regular watering: This is especially important in Sydney, where the weather is hot and dry for much of the year. Make sure to water your plants deeply and evenly, and don’t let the soil dry out completely.
- Fertilising: Fertilising helps to keep plants healthy and can give them a boost of energy when they need it. Apply a slow-release fertiliser in spring and autumn and a high-nitrogen fertiliser during the active growth periods in summer and winter.
- Pruning: This helps to encourage new growth and can also control the shape and size of plants. The best time to prune most greenery is in late winter or early spring.
- Weeding: Weeds compete with plants for water and nutrients, so it’s important to remove them regularly. Hand-pulling is the best method for small weeds, while larger weeds can be dug out with a trowel.
- Mulching: Mulching helps to retain moisture in the soil and can also help to suppress weed growth. Apply a layer of mulch around plants in spring and autumn.
Corrective Garden Maintenance Tasks
- Pest control: Pests can cause serious damage to plants, so it’s important to get rid of them as soon as they’re noticed. Common garden pests in Sydney include aphids, caterpillars, scale insects, and whitefly.
- Disease control: Diseases can also cause serious damage to plants, so be sure to research which ones most commonly affect the plants in your garden. Common garden diseases in Sydney include powdery mildew, rust, and black spot.
- Damage control: Damage caused by bad weather, such as high winds or hailstorms, can be repaired by trimming damaged branches and leaves.
When is the best time for these garden maintenance tasks?
The best time to perform garden maintenance will largely depend on the type of plants you have. For example, deciduous trees and shrubs should be pruned in late winter or early spring before new growth begins. Evergreen trees and shrubs can be pruned at any time of year.
It’s also important to keep an eye on the weather forecast and avoid carrying out any maintenance tasks if severe weather is expected. High winds, for example, can damage newly pruned plants or cause debris to blow around and damage other plants.
If you’re uncertain about the specific care your garden needs, Artview Landscapes can assist you. We have a team of experienced and qualified landscapers who can carry out all types of both preventative and corrective maintenance tasks. Contact us today to find out more.
- How a Maintained Garden Helps You Increase the Value of Your Property?
- 5 Things You Must Do to Keep Your Garden Lush
Owner/operator of Artview Landscapes, Brian Baker is a talented landscape designer who has been managing, designing and building structured landscapes in Sydney for twenty five years. He has personally built or managed over 800 landscape construction projects ranging in value from $5,000 to $250,000 for residential projects and between $10,000 and one million dollars for commercial projects.